Saluting the wonderful Stout with an International Stout Day on November 2 made me start to think about a Stout Hall of Fame. If we were to start a Stout Hall of Fame, what Stouts would be part of the initial class? What do you think? If I think about the rules for induction, this is what I come up with:
- The Stout has to be available for at least 5 years
- It has to be available at least regionally, if not nationally
- No brewery only releases…..for now!
As I consider what Stouts should be inducted, here are my top nominees…in no particular order:
- Founders Breakfast Stout
- Founders KBS
- Bell’s Expedition Stout
- Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout
- Firestone Walker Parabola
- Surly Darkness
- Perennial Abraxas
- Alesmith Speedway Stout
- Deschutes The Abyss
- Cigar City Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout
- Oskar Blues TENFIDY
- Guinness Draught
- Prairie Artisan Ales BOMB!
- Epic Brewing Big Bad Baptist
- Westbrook Mexican Cake
- Stone Russian Imperial Stout
I’m sure there are many that I didn’t include, but I tried to consider those Stouts that are considered the “standard” of their style. I struggled a bit with not including brewery only releases, but I think for an inaugural class, the nominees should have some amount of distribution.
What do you think? Who would be in your inaugural class of the Stout Hall of Fame?? What worthy Stouts did I omit? I’d love to hear your thoughts!